January 13, 2014

the misión is a sacrifice for being a foot model.

I don't see being a foot model in my future. The blisters and but bites have killed all hopes of that. Remember that adorable little bottle of bug spray you sent me once, Mom? well let´s just say that was about a 2 day supply. jaja.
What a week. I don´t know if I should start out with the exciting news, or more exciting news. 
First to answer Dad´s question about future marriage prospects here. Dad, 18 year olds are 18 year olds. I am frequently reminded of the challenges that will come ahead in being married to a man, even if he once was a missionary. But if you were hoping for specific names of future prospects, I don´t have any there. 

This week we got robbed. The most terrifying experience. Yes mom, I´m fine. So one night we were walking home from the church at 9 after an activity. We were in an area that we never had considered dangerous, when 2 guys on a motorcycle approached and slowed down. We were crossing the street and thought we were just  in the way, when they stopped and he started yelling ´Give me your things, give me your things!´....and one of the guys got off his motorcycle and approached me first. He had a big 12inch knife in his hand. At this point I realized it was real. I started yelling ´NO NO go away!´...in english..jaja. I actually had a little kitchen knife in my hand, as we had used it to cut watermelon at the activity. I just clung to my things, I had a bag that had money, my debit cards, and even camera. We NEVER carry all this around, but had to buy stuff and go to this activity right before. He then went for my companion, she handed over her book of mormon she was carrying, which inside she had her cards. The guys then zoomed off on the motorcycle. It all happened so fast, and was not pleasant at all. Some nice lady came running over, they called the police. She then explained people are robbed ALL the time on this street. Ugh. We then waited for the police, 25 minutes before they showed up. This people probably just felt bad for us 2 little americans. The horrible thing is, it doesn´t even phase people, as people are robbed so often. And the police don´t-can´t do anything. My poor new companion. I´m not a fan of men or motorcycles right now.

Our front door lock broke. The thing is we couldn´t fix it for a few days...our neighbor absolutely freaked when she saw that it was being held shut with a hair elastic. Oops. For 2 nights we at least had our big old fridge that we put in front of it to keep it shut. Then when the lock guy came to fix it, he spent literally 3 minutes tops and completely ripped us off. But now we won´t die. 

This week we got a new fridge! That was good. We finally have cold food and ice! This week we were fed pizza for 4 meals straight, by members. A family just started a new business, and often there are members that can´t feed us but pay for food from the members that have rotisserias. (And we rearranged the apartment! well, about as rearranged as a 50sqft area can be.)

A week ago we found a girl, Rocio. She is 15 and from a different provincia, but living here with her dad for the summer. She came to church with us yesterday! We taught her, went back 3 days later, and she had already read 10 chapters in the book of mormon. That doesn´t happen here. We are also doing english and piano classes, and she came to the english class.

A miracle happened yesterday at 6:15am. I was woken up to a text we received from Marcos, an investigador we had a while back. Things hadn´t ended good, I was so sad to see him give up everything after having opposition from his family. Well he said that he wants to be baptized, be mormon, that the church is true. What??!!! He couldn´t go to church yesterday, he lives outside of santa fe, but to make a long story short he is going to come to church sunday and explain everything that happened. Right now it seems just too good...but we have prayed so much for him, and thought someday in the future he would come in contact again with the church. Anyways, the point is, I may have a miracle story next week. 

We contacted a LOT this week. Friday we walked 15 kilometros. A challenge in this area is that a TON of people we find don´t actually live here. We find so many people that work in the houses of families in this area, or take care of old people, or are just here for the summer. For a long time I thought this missionary work was  like a big treasure hunt...trying to find people who are actually interested and prepared. But really we don´t have to hunt and hunt....we plan and then act on those plans with faith, and God will place the people where we are going to be. I like this better, it doesn´t seem so impossible.

I love that we aren´t brainwashed in the church. I meet so many people that say ¨well, you would have to ask the priest, all I know is that´s what they teach in the church´. Something important is that we have personal revelation and a revelation with God. That we can know for ourselves what is true. Yesterday I talked in sacrament about the atonement of Jesus Crist, and how understanding this helps us understand what missionary work is. The worth of souls really is great, and Christ suffered and made possible salvacion for everyone. Missionary work just means to bring a knowledge of the atonement to people. 

Well, it´s been a year. I feel like I´m going through a midlife crisis, so much to do and so little time. I´m like a grandma here. I know it´s the most cliche thing ever...but you learn a lot on the mission. (even when we are told that we are so young, from the US, and know absolutely nothing. thank you, nice people)

Love you all. 
GOod luck staying warm. Everyone here talks about the US right now!
love, hermana andrews

p.s. ethan and jacob...I saw a bird fly into a power thing and get electrocuted. you would have laughed. 

p.p.p.s. forgive me for all the food pictures, but the truth
is that represents my life. My popcorn making experience
at home has done me good in the land of argentina,
where microwave stuff doesn´t exist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment