November 25, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

There is absolutely no evidence of the happiest time of the year, aka Thanksgiving and Christmas, here. So please eat some food for me. (mom, make sure the turkey is cooked this year. jaja). Today we are making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies....and the festivities about end there! I did make one of those turkey handprint things that you make in 2nd grade, and write what you are thankful for. So as I am sitting at my desk in the sweltering heat I have a lovely little turkey to look at.

I assume mom has already facebook stalked about the hermanas conference.... But yes it was lovely! I felt like I was in young womens...with all the girls, even the table decor. There are SO many new hermanas. Well truth is,maybey they aren´t that new....I still feel like the new one, then people remind me I have been here for months and months. jaja. Pres and his wife spoke, and other people, there were little class things about hair and clothing (jajajajaj that´s gone down the drain), we even learned how to lead music. And the food. That´s always important.

I saw my little companera, hna cruz, that is in colón. I was SO happy to hear about the good things that are happening there, it´s being taken care of. 

We met lots of interesting people this week. People seem to share their life story, deepest darkest secrets, their body and health problems in detail, and more than you ever ask to know. This includes sweet little abuelas cannot hear us, even when I am practically screaming...and cannot walk to go to church....and cannot see to read the pamphlet. ja oh well. Testigos de Jeovah....this has tested my knowledge! These people are hard core. We had some very interesting discussions....but the truth is if a person looks for every fault or doubt, they cannot receive a testimony. We were with a menos activo, when the mom went mute. She lost her voice....it was one of the weirdest appointments I have ever had, turns out this is a healthproblem she has and it happens, but they don´t know why. Lipreading in spanish is hard. ja. I hardly knewwhat to do..It was crazy.

My testimony of Jose Smith and the restauracion grows stronger every day. People are constantly attacking our message and the church, but I know for myself that he was a prophet. There´s been many moments where I know the spirit testified strong,even if a person doesn´t want to accept the gospel. The interesting thing is that EVERY time we begin to teach the first vision and jose smith, there is a distraction -phone rings,baby cries, person walks in the room. This is not coincidence, because this is the moment the Spirit can be strongest.

Our miracle this week was Miguel. He is 25, the elders helped us contact one day in our area. We went back to this house to visit his mom, and met him. He has interest and wanted to go to the church! So we passed by Sunday and he came with us,it all turned out so good, the members were SO friendly,excited to have an investigador,and I think we have more confidence of the members now. He is unlike anyone I have taught, he is so open and very intelligent, he liked the church.

Sunday was primary program.Me and my comp played the piano, it was an adorablelittle program. There´s 8 kids in the primary...so a little different than the utah ones!

To answer moms questions, we eat with members every day. This ward is really good about this, even though there are also 2 elders. And we are in Costanera Ward. It´s the first ward in santa fe, my mision president served here 40 years ago. And Elder Scott was a mission pres. here. There is a family, the Chiapellos, that are the NICEST people ever. They feed us any day that we don´t have a lunch. Rosa is from Peru, Jesus is from here, they have been married a year, she is RS pres. They will do anything to help the misionaries.

This week I was reminded of the unity and humility that is always needed. I´m grateful for my comp, she is always willing to contribute and teach also. I wasn´t so good at that when I first got here...oops. But being with a person all day every day I am reminded of the humility.

I just love the people.Even the 98 percent that don´t even want to talk to our face. But I know that the work we do is real, the gospel istrue, so what else matters?

Summer is coming, it´s been hoooot. But I can´t judge yet, because everyone says it just gets worse. Other things this week....I discovered the most delicious ice cream i have had in argentina, found that they sale yummy dino shaped pasta (I have already apologizedto my comp for my food obsession. ijust can´t help it. i don´t even have cookbooks to read here). Oh shoot...I can never remember everything to share! Or it´s just not as funny as in the moment. Mabye we can do a tour of my mission when we are up in heaven watching the videos.

What are you doing for thanksgiving? Enjoy the festivities! and blackfriday. or whatever it is that we do in america. Mom, tell Heidi hello. Glad to hear she is working!

i was going to send some pics....but the computer is not the greatest here. Next time. 
Hopefuly I will be getting the dear elders you sent, we have a training manana.Thank you! 
And make sure to take pics of turkey day and all!

I´m grateful for my family, for the gospel, for the life I have had, for this little time of my life to live far away and come to understand more who my Heavenly Father is, and to see his hand in the details of our lives.

Love you all!

hermana andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment