November 15, 2013

Santa Fe, Santa Fe

Hola!
Whoaaah. I am in santa fe. I survived the week of transfers.

Let´s just say, I´m probably in the most gorgeous area in the mision. Ok, I still love Colón. But once again, I am RIGHT next to the river. The name Costanera is exactly what it is. Truth is I haven´t even taken pictures....as it has rained EVERy day since we got here. (More like argentina torments). But yes our area is right along the coast, has some of the most beatiful houses (think of like san diego on the beach). You can google it. There´s a huge Santa Fe bridge. It´s a lovely place. Except people say it is the most humid city in the mission....and summer is just miserable. ja. We will see how that goes. 

And we live in a crackerbox. Well, it´s a garage. I won´t even begin my dislike for apartments of elders...and how once again we had to clean it ALL. Boys will be boys. Ok I will start from the beginning of the story. 
Tuesday I had to say bye to everyone. And there wasn´t even time to see everyone I wanted. Tuesday during the night I went to Rosario, got there Wednesday morning. It turned out that almost all the hermanas that were training were the same that trained last transfer too...weird. My comp from the MTC trained again also. Then we had the little meeting thing with all the trainer and new people. There are 8 hermanas and 8 elders, and only one hermana from the states. And guess who I got?...Hermana Hickman from washington! jaja. The others are from Central and South America, and there is one from Spain!! She is the hot item around here, with her accent and all.

Hermana Hickman is 19, fresh from the MTC. I think she was plenty freaked out her first day here. We got here Wednesday night, were given the address of our aparment. We went in a taxi, got there, and people told us that missionaries haven´t lived there for over a year. A guy explained where he thought the missionaries now lived....so we got back in the taxi and went there. We didn´t even have a phone during this time, our luggage was with some other guy in another truck with our zone leaders. So we pull up this dark street.....we didn´t have an exact house number or anything. The taxi driver told us this is a dangerous area...I had no idea what to do, there was no one to communicate with. Luckily the elders showed up a little after, confirmed that this is where we live. It didn´t help the fact that the the metal bars on the window and door had a broken lock...jaja. The owner of the house was explaining that this is a dangerous area, to always keep everything locked....jaja my poor comp. And it was not the cleanest inside. But hey, she got her first taste of Argentina! We spent a day cleaning, reorganizing, and it´s a quaint little place to live. The elders had to move out and are looking for another apartment.

We were left in this area with zero investigadores. We spent time meeting and visiting members. It´s actually pretty great, because our area is very untouched. We split the ward in 2, it´s super long hot dog shaped, which means the missionaries have always worked in about the same area, as it takes time to walk from one point to the other. But now we are here and it´s basically opening a new area.

The members are great so far:) There´s a family that goes to the US a couple times of year...they had pics of moab, park city, all the church history places....it was so weird to see all this, they have been to more places in UT and the US than the typical mormon family! jaja. There are some VERY wealthy areas in our area....also some more humble neighborhoods. We still have hardly even seen our area, as most of the members live in the area of the elders. But we are working to contact and with references that we have already received from the members. Some people are quite happy to have hermanas:) That´s always nice.

I´m quite content to be here. It´s a lot of work. Starting from nothing. But I love the faith and animo of a new missionary! It helps me a lot, she has so many desires to find and teach. I understand what it´s like to be new. Exactly. I´m grateful for the perspective, and to see the things that I have learned and now hopefully will be able to help her with. I love the changes through the mission...being able to learn more and more, to communicate with the people, to have more meaningful studies, to develop the ability to teach. I´m not freaked out of the same things. The mission either can kill your confidence, or help build it up centered in Christ. I know it is being built on him, because I know without him I am nothing. And even when people are not the nicest, or don´t want to talk, I know that there are more people that are waiting for the truth, and that I am just a little instrument in the hands of God. It´s all quite humbling, but also empowering.

Glad the birthday was great ethan! holy smokes, I cannot believe he is 15. 
thank you for the emails and remembering me:)

love, hermana andrews


I love this girl and her family. Ailen. I had a super good experience with them the last night I was there...and can´t wait to hear of the day her dad is worthy to baptize her, and her mom is baptized:)


No comments:

Post a Comment