April 17, 2013

April 8: ARGENTINA, HERE I COME !!!

I looked out the window and what did I see?
popcorn popping on the apricot tree:)
Oh my goodness....the trees here are beautiful:) 
 
 
 
hola amigos y familia!
 
As you heard....I am going to Argentina today!!!! Woohoo! Well, I'm actually like peeing my pants. And calling home just might make me cry. But I am SO excited! I have only heard of one other elder from my district, who is in North Carolina, who got his visa. My comp right now waiting to go to argentina still doesn't have hers. Last week during weekly planning, she (jokingly?) said visas would come wednesday, and even wrote it in her planner. Of course I have prayed for a visa to come this past week, but didn't want to get hopes up or think about it too much. On Thursday afternoon i got a call from the office secretary, telling me my visa is here! Funny thing, the secretary said the email about my visa actually came late Wednesday night! Moral of the story, planning and prayers do actually work:)
 
It's crazy to be leaving VA. I have been here 1 transfer! While here I have made a collection of cat pictures, enjoyed beautiful spring, been in a wine store larger than home depot, been part of a compship of 4 gringos, and seen that there are more problems in the world than can be solved in 6 weeks. We always wonder what our neighbors and people think....4 girls always walking outside all together at the same time everyday, our walls are covered with Jesus and temples, always in skirts, all of us pile into the same car with little nametags...it must be weird for anyone who doesn't have a clue what a missionary is! But honestly, I am so grateful for the things I have come to learn in Virginia, and the people I have met. It has been a blessing to see 2 people baptized, to see the extremely humble circumstances that some of the strongest members I have ever met live in. It is eye opening to see the problems that so many people do have though - especially as many are illegal immigrants, have health problems, and live on hardly anything. It is a difficult balance between providing for peoples temporal and spiritual needs. What I have realized, is that at this time I am a missionary, called to teach others of Jesus Christ. We cannot provide everything, but ultimately the gospel of Jesus Christ can make any situation better, and is a need of every person on this earth.
 
This week we have watched '17 Miracles' with a couple members. That movie is powerful, and people love it. Other exciting news...a great family we are teaching has a baptisimal date for April!!  But I am SO excited for them! This family is awesome. The best lessons I have had, has been with them. This week we helped her make tacos and salsa, she is the best cook. Then it was time for the lesson...there was one distraction after the next - the phone kept ringing, the doorbell rang, and other distractions....It started out rough. Satan definetly did not want that lesson! And they even made that comment later. But it turned out good, and we commited them to baptism. This week the elders were also able to bless their house.
 
Conference! How was conference? I watched it at the church, for first time in my life! On saturday, the only people at the church were missionaries! I guess everyone here even watches it on TV. (I missed a good breakfast and sweats....but luckily I got to watch it in english!) I have been sick :(.....so even staying awake was a challenge. But luckily I feel so much better today. There is some flu going around, and it seems like always at least one person in our compship has been sick. But don't worry, I'm bringing my years supply of chewable pepto-bismol to argentina:)
 
Mom, don't worry, I went after easter shopping and got onsale candy:)  Yesterday we went to the Bishops parents house for lunch between conference, and I had my last real american meal. It was probably some of the best food I have had yet....BBQ, funeral potatoes, salad, baked beans, cake....mmm. We had dinner another time with the bishops family this week. Good week for dinners:)
 
It is true, there are now sister district leaders.
Did everyone else do anything for spring break? Did mom slave everyone into yardwork?
 
This is such an exciting time to be a missionary. The work truly is hastening. Obviously every person is not going to accept the gospel, (yes, we were dropped by a few investigators this week...), but Pres. Perry talked about being a representative of the Lord that is exactly obedient. He said we need to earn the trust of everyone, members specifially, in order for more doors to be opened to teaching people. Heavenly Father will always bless us and pour out miracles when we do everything in our power to follow him.
 
love you all!
have a great week!
-hermana andrews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment