April 6, 2013

March 25, 2013


Merry Christmas!


Hola familia y amigos!
Yep, it looks like Christmas here. Last night it snowed a ton, but luckily it is all melted on the road today, or we would not be able to drive anywhere. I'm glad to hear UT is freezing cold and snowy though, I wouldn't want to miss out on any lovely weather:)
 
It was quite the week around here! First of all, we had a baptism and wedding!!! A wonderful couple were married on saturday. Just like the old days, I spent my Saturday decorating and doing a wedding:) It was in the gym, we did the decorations and everything. There was actually 10 hermanas there, because of the people who came back for the wedding and their companions. (I got to see my MTC comp!!) The decor....well we were quite innovative. Good thing the relief society has a closet full of fake flowers and sheets they use as tablecloths. So before the wedding was a ward easter egg hunt (there was 750 eggs...and probably about 18 kids....) and then the ceremony, and then a potluck dinner thing. This week I really realized that all was not listed in the job description of a missionary - babysitter, maid, event planner, pianist..... The wedding all went really good though, and it was cute to see how excited and nervous they were to be married. (They have been 'together' for 10 years)
Yesterday was the baptism, which was SO good. It's nice to see the results of effort.They have been taught for a long time, and been through looots of missionaries, so it was good that some could come back. What is even better, is that this is just the beginning. I am realizing the importance of the temple, as baptism is only the beginning. (This weekend a group from the ward are all going to the temple, many are being sealed and receiving endownments. It is SO great, as the entire ward is converts) So we basically lived at the church this week, and too bad we can't have weddings and baptisms every week!
 
There was a sisters meeting this week. I had been hearing about it since I got here, and how great it is. It felt like young women therapy session/ a relief society "light lunch". But it was good! All the sisters in the mission go, and the pres and his wife speak about random things. And there's a clothes exchange, so like going to DI for free! I have actually collected quite a few things here and at the MTC...Mom, the lunch was salad and bread:) Also, Sister Perry, the pres wife, shared a super good story. So go to daringyoungmom.com and search for "Drops of Awesome".
 
This week there were so many little miracles. We received SOO many referrals. Ok, like 8. But that is a ton! I have realized that people are prepared. Not everyone is interested in learning more about Christ, but there are people who are ready. A family we are teaching came to the baptism yesterday, and after they were like "When can we have a day like this?" !! Yep, they basically asked to be baptized. We had asked them to be baptized last time we were there, but now we need to set a date. There is another family who just moved here from Dominican Republic. The husband is a member, and the wife is investigating. But yesterday she commented in every class, and acted like a member already! And then there was this little old lady who just moved here from Guatemala, who looked and acted like the relief society president but hasn't even had any lessons yet!
 
This week we also had a picnic in some ghetto parking lot of family dollar with questionable people roaming around. I wouldn't suggest this for a nice family activity or date, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. When I get home, I have to make some real mexican tacos. Oh my goodness so good - corn tortillas filled with chicken, fried, and you eat it with avacodos, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, crema, and cojita cheese. Mom, not to brag or anything, but I have gotten pro at omlets:) THis is what you put on them: turkey, tomatoes, avacodos, green peppers, spinach, and cheese.
 
Other good things were watching soccer, because people here are soo intense it is hilarious. (Mexico vs Honduras, we watched with some members, she is from Mexico and he honduras!) Kids are always confused, thinking I only have a last name. ANd here's a joke....how do bunnies stay healthy?.....eggsercise! :)
Happy easter this week!
 
 There's a boy in this ward who just put in this papers, it's exciting because he is probably the first missionary ever from here. 
Thanks for the updates Grandma and Sandy! I love hearing about what everyone is doing.
Still no word on visa....thank you for all the prayers. I do love Virginia! Staying busy definitely makes everything better.
Things are not all easy, but there are definitely miracles. I don't think I am really making a difference for anyone here, but I have learned so much from the examples of people I have met!
Well my time is up, but I hope you have a good week!
LOVE YOU ALL!
 
-hermana andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment